Software Engineering Practice
Essence of practice
General steps in carrying out software engineering are
- Understand the problem(through communication
- Plan a solution (by modeling and designing)
- Carry out the plan (coding)
- Examine result for correctness (testing)
Principles of best practice
- Software should provide value to users.
- Keep the software design simple.
- Vision of the project should be kept in mind throughout.
- Keep your work products in an understandable format for others to work with them easily.
- Design in a way that can incorporate changes in future.
- Build reusable components.
- Think before acting or learn before starting.
Software Myths (False Belief)
- Management myths
• Software practitioners follow book of standards and procedures for software development.
• If delay occurs, programmers can be added at any point.
• Outsourcing helps.
- Customer myths
• General requirements and not a detailed one is needed for starting programming.
• Software is easy to change.
- Practitioner’s myths (Developer’s myths)
• Software developing is all about coding.
• Only a finished software can be tested.
• Software engineering has plentiful documentation and will slow down the process.